ADMIRE NOT ACQUIRE

by - September 11, 2016


In this new age of social influencers it seemed that the world around us has so much more to offer making us feel the need to acquire what we thought are essential.  We have the notion that we need more to have a happier fulfilling lives.
Two days ago, we were hanging out at the mall. Husband would get his usual cup of tea and I would walk around looking for something "I need". It is surprising that every time I come to the store I would always find something I need. But that day it was the first time I came home without buying anything. And guess what I survived.
For almost two years now that I am in a process of claiming back my space, I realized I have gained so much. I have gained my time and my sanity. Suddenly I found myself not rushing anymore because I have cut back so much time tending to things that wasn't necessary. What is now a semi empty house, because I do still keep my precious shelves of books, allows me to spend less time decluttering and cleaning and it gives me more time to do things I love like reading, research, writing, play the piano (rather than arranging and dusting off what's on top of it) and spend time my family which I have unintentionally downsized to a husband and dog ;)
Rather than spending so much time putting things away, I am now able to do things without feeling the urge to rush because there are still so many things to do and accomplished. And indeed, it gave me back that sense of freedom, of knowing that happiness has nothing to do with keeping up with the Jonesses, that sitting in the midst of an empty space, I found peace and calm.
I love beautiful things. I would constantly get stopped by things that  I think are beautiful. But I am slowly getting away from the need of acquiring. In the word of Socrates he said, "the secret to happiness is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy with less."
"I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches around the world...perhaps you've seen it." Steven Wright

You May Also Like

0 comments